Summer is packed with excitement in southwestern Colorado, with Ridgway, Ouray and Telluride in the middle of all the action. If you’re a planner, keep in mind that the Telluride 100 (telluride100.com) mountain biking event is held at the end of July each year, both commencing and culminating in the Town of Telluride. Other biggies include July’s Hardrock 100-mile Endurance Run that links Lake City, Ouray, Telluride and Silverton areas, plus Ridgway’s Ride The Rockies in June.
Also noteworthy museum openings that include the newly renovated Ute Museum (HistoryColorado.org/museums/ute-indian-museum-0) in Montrose and Ranch History Museum (ocrhm.org) that has a new home in Ridgway.
Also a hot ticket is the Ouray Hot Springs Pool (OurayColorado.com/hot-springs) that is now open for the summer season.
- Thursday Afternoons Through August 17 – Telluride Historical Museum’s “Historic Walking Tours”
These 1.5-hour tours provide an entertaining experience while walking through Telluride to learn about the historical events and places that make this town so special. Tickets are $10 for museum members and $15 for the general public. For more information, visit TellurideMuseum.org.
- Thursdays Through October 5 – Telluride Art Walk
- Fridays At 10:45am – True Grit Walking Tour
Meet at the Ridgway Visitors Center (970-626-5181). Admission is $10 (11 and under free). Groups of six or more may schedule their own tour anytime year round.
- 26 – Ridgway Townie Tuesday Picture Show: Michael
- 27 – The Ridgway Concert Series
This free evening of dancing, trendsetting music, food vendors, local micro-brews and other spirits is held from 6-9pm at Town Park. For more details, visit Facebook.com/RidgwayConcertSeries.
- 27 – Telluride Mountain Club’s Annual BBQ Picnic in the Park
Enjoy BBQ, a silent auction, raffle, yard games and more from 5:30-8pm.
- 1 – Ridgway Townie Tuesday Picture Show: Beetlejuice
- 2 – Telluride Sunset Concert Series: Diego Figueiredo
Brazilian guitar sensation Diego Figueiredo performs a free public concert at Telluride’s Sunset Plaza stage.
- 4-6 – Telluride Jazz Festival
A celebration of jazz, this annual event features some of the best-known performers and provides a venue through which new artists can explore their sounds.
- 12-13 – 33rd Annual Ridgway Rendezvous Art and Crafts Festival
Annual two-day festival at Ridgway’s Hartwell Park that showcases fine arts and original crafts from up to 140 talented vendors from across the country.
- 11 – Taste of Telluride and Top Chef Competition
Experience Telluride’s culinary and libation scene from 5:30-9pm.
- 17-20 – Telluride Mushroom Festival
An earthy celebration of all things fungal and entheogenic.
- 30-September 4 – Telluride Film Festival
Highly acclaimed cinema feast that serves up some of the finest flicks in the industry.
- 9 – Ouray To Telluride Imogene Pass Run
Diehard runners tackle the 17.1-mile race from Ouray to Telluride via the Imogene Pass.
- 15-17 – Telluride Blues & Brews Festival
Live music and spirited brews light up the town of Telluride in the 24th edition of this lively event held at Telluride Town Park.
- 21-24 – Telluride 3rd Annual Festival of Cars and Colors
Held on Main Street, Telluride’s newest festival celebrates classic cars with a backdrop of beautiful fall colors.
- 23 – Mountains to Desert Ride
A grueling cycling race from Telluride to Gateway Canyons tackled with a goal of raising $90,000 to benefit the Just for Kids Foundation.
- 23-24 – The Sneffels Fiber Art Festival
Held Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday from 10am-4pm at Ouray County Fairgrounds & 4-H Center, this interactive festival is geared to shoppers, crafters and artists of all ages. Classes are available for those interested in Fiber Art.